Are you a golf newbie? Not sure what to expect, let alone what to wear? Well fear not, here are a few tips and tricks to help you ace your first time on the course.
What to Know
We’ve summed up the most relevant dos and don’ts of golfing etiquette. Stick to these simple guidelines and you can’t go wrong.
- Play at a reasonable pace. You’re not Tiger Woods, just yet.
- Have the player who is farthest away from the pin hit first on each shot.
- Let the winner of the previous hole tee off first at the next tee.
- Take a caddie whenever possible, unless you enjoy long walks on the…green.
- Shh… keep your movements and chatter to a minimum when players are about to hit.
- Enjoy yourself.
- Play at the pace of a snail and hold up other players. C’mon be cool.
- Move or talk while someone in your group is hitting the ball or about to hit.
- Though-shalt-not pass! Don’t walk across the line of another player’s putt on the green.
- Be overly eager and hit your shots if the group in front of you is still in range.
- Ever play when lightning is in the area, I mean…this one is pretty self-explanatory.
- Get frustrated, golf is the type of sport that takes some time to truly master.
What to Wear
Time to tee off in style! First off, it’s important to know that most golf courses and country clubs have a dress code. Once you familiarize yourself with their attire guidelines, putting together your golfing outfits will be a breeze.
Polo shirts are a must-have! You can find this classic essential in an array of colours, prints and designs including button down, V-neck and zip-top. You can even opt for a sleeveless style on those hot summer days. Skorts and golf dresses are also very popular choices.
As Mother Nature can be rather unpredictable, dressing in layers is common for golfers. Throw on a vest over a polo shirt to keep warm or a light jacket on cooler days. Note to self: denim jackets, jeans and sweatshirts are a big no -no!
Also, don’t be afraid to show your fashion personality on the green. Go for a printed pant or add a pop of colour with a vibrant top. Finish off your look with a cute pair of sunglasses.
Let us know if you’re a golfing newbie by commenting below.