Fresh air and fun, here we come! With Labour Day around the corner, we’re looking forward to a quick long weekend getaway. With tons of options for discovering new places with family, relaxing with a special someone or catching up with good friends, we don’t want to be bogged down by our luggage. So we sought out some savvy advice and here are our top five packing tips to travel light.
1) Choose the right bag for the trip at hand. When choosing your luggage, think about the voyage it will take. Will it be gliding across the polished floor of a hotel lobby, bumping along a cobblestone path or be tucked neatly away in an overhead compartment? Choose an appropriate bag, keeping in mind that the smallest possible size will be the easiest to travel with. Extra space usually means we’ll be inclined to over pack!
2) Make a checklist. This sounds like an obvious step, but jotting down our travel needs can make all the difference. By outlining the types of clothing, footwear, cosmetics and must-haves for the particular destination, we can stay focused on choosing the right items, without too many extras.
3) Choose a style theme. Maximize your outfit potential by selecting coordinating tops and bottoms for in-the-moment mixing and matching. Spice things up with a sprinkling of lightweight and easy-to-pack accessories. A chunky necklace can change the look of a black dress while a cardigan can take a look from day to night.
4) Roll, fold and bundle. Now that we have the right items, we need to get them into a suitcase in the most efficient way possible. This may just be one of our most important packing tips!
- Roll: stretchy knit fabrics like t-shirts, jersey dresses, thin sweaters and even jeans
- Fold: wrinkle-prone fabrics like linen and rayon, as well as tailored pieces like jackets and trousers.
- Bundle: Encase your rolled items with the folded coordinating pieces for easy access to outfits when in a hurry
5) Pack ahead of time. Most over packing happens when shoving last minute items into a bag. Be organized in advance to master smart packing… Bon voyage!
Image source: sororitysugar